Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM PDT
Geothermal energy is delivering clean, base-load and low cost electricity in 25 countries as well as commercial heating in 70 countries.
- Geothermal is price competitive with other renewables
- Geothermal is the only renewable base-load option with higher capacity factors than other sources
- Geothermal provides a source of useful byproduct heat
- Geothermal is especially attractive for northern and remote communities
- Geothermal is found right across Canada, especially in the West and North
- Geothermal runs indefinitely with proper heat resource management
In Canada, the geothermal industry has yet to gain traction despite having world class resources. It has great promise... but what will it take to turn the promise into reality?
Guest presenter Alison Thompson has dedicated a substantial part of her career to investigating and demonstrating the technical and commercial viability of high enthalpy geothermal energy. Since 2007, she has been the Managing Director and Executive Director of the Canadian Geothermal Energy Association (CanGEA).