Retail and tech companies such as Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Target and Walmart are among nearly half of the Fortune 500 companies seeking to locate operations in states with ready access to clean-energy sources.
The report concludes that while there is no one-size-fits-all solution, the following actions at the state level would go a long way in supporting the growth of corporate renewables procurement:
- Remove barriers to corporate deployment of both onsite and offsite renewable installations.
- Support the development of next-generation options to purchase renewable energy through utilities in regulated markets.
- Expand energy choice options for C&I customers in regulated markets.
- Ensure that an adequate market exists for renewable purchasing through both utilities and third-party programs.
- Ensure that RE in both regulated and deregulated markets can scale up rapidly.