Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Canada:

Thoughts on Geothermal Energy Growing Pains (Proactive Investors USA & Canada)
Ross Beaty, Executive Chairman
of Alterra Power


Interview with Ross Beaty, Executive Chairman of Alterra Power


"I wanted to do something environmentally friendly that would be good for the world. That would satisfy my desire to try to reduce our carbon emissions and produce electricity that’s in clean technology, meaning geothermal, wind, hydro and solar power."

"So it was something different for me. I started the company focused on geothermal power. Both Rick Rule and I thought it was really going to be a great long term solution for the world and it turned out not to be. It turned out to be a very risky, very difficult business and we both had a lot of investment, you could say, ‘disasters’ in looking at different geothermal plays."

I had bought some assets that were producing though in the company which we have to this day. It wasn’t just an exploration play. It was a producing company right from the beginning and we took it public in 2009. In 2011, I had realized just how tough the geothermal business was. But I still wanted to build a clean energy company bigger and bigger. So I acquired a company in British Columbia called Plutonic Power and joined the two companies together into the company that is today Alterra Power."

Read More........